Saturday, June 18, 2011

SLUT WALK LONDON 12th June 2011






Created with flickr slideshow from softsea.

These images are from Slut Walk London that walked th elength of Piccadilly and convened on Trafalgar's Square (under nelsons phallic column) on a fresh sunny day in London. As I stood with camera and hand held recoder in hand, I wondered what I had come. Was I wanting to be inspired, pumping my fists in the air every 20 seconds? Did I want to document a feminine utopian event that hopefully marked the new beginning of women of all class and cultures, standing up and speaking out against violence against women?  Was I expecting a tirade of man-bashing speeches that was a call to arms? 
What I got was common sense on a humanist level and wasn't disappointed as such, just hoping for even minor incendiary provokation. Not a bra burning but a  something that made my heart beat a little faster. Not Beyonce's Girls Run The World war on Man but was some kind of Kali or Nzinga defiance
that would galvanize me to dramatic action to speak out even if I suspected a man of even thinking  about having a sexist thought.

But as I've always said, "what you want and what you need are sometimes two different things", and I realised, first and foremost this was an eduction session. Speakers were passing on crucial information about how women are really living/surviving/coping in this world. Particularly those in poverty and living in oppressive states of war and corruption. I needed to stop wanting and expecting and really listen.

I find myself gravitating to the podcast recording of the speakers on the day, just to remind myself that, personally, I've got it good and that what women endure the world over is beyond the obscene infringement of human rights. More extremes of abuse is suicidal. As over 50% of the population of the planet, there is vested interest of those who oppress women to ease back, chill out and check themselves for signs of psychotic behaviour. No joke. Really, some of the trends of abuse against women would be considered  behaviour of the mentally unsound if put under even a weak microscope.

The march's effect is slow burn and persuasive. It has its core in liberating women from structures designed to imprison them. Its  was a bit clunky in its delivery although the actual event ran smoothly and people engaged in small pokets of debates near the stage and the  huge water fountains, which quietly dispersed after an hour or so, leaving bemused tourists smattered about the Square wondering what the commotion was. Their attention switches to the break dancers, who ramp up their stereo  then back flip and head spin for some change. So what kind of ripples did Slut Wlak London really make? Well consistency is the key and more walks and protests are planned. Like the  Picket  of the Crown Prosecution Service outside the Rose Court on Friday 1st July. Addres - 2 Southwark Bridge. Time: 1-2pm. Even the timing is civilised enough for mum's to have time to make the school run. Makes sense.
Hear the podcast of some of the speakers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep dreaming the dream for us Zena, and turning it into words, Lord knows if the world needs dreams, and poetry!